How It Works
- As soon as you become eligible, a Retirement Savings Plan account is automatically opened for you at Vanguard.
- Grainger contributes 6% of your pay to your account each pay period, tax-free.
- You can contribute your own money, too, through pretax or after-tax payroll deductions.
- You can choose to invest your account in a range of professionally managed investment funds.
401(k) Plan Snapshot
Who is eligible?
Regular full-time and part-time team members, age 18 years or older
What is it?
A convenient, tax-smart way to save and invest your own money for retirement
To build financial wellbeing for your future self while paying less in income taxes today
- 6% of eligible pay each pay period
- Eligible pay includes your base salary, overtime, commission and bonuses
- Always 100% vested
- Tax-free until you take it out
- New team members are auto-enrolled at 3% pretax contribution level but can opt out within 30 days.
- You can elect to contribute up to 75% of your pay, up to annual IRS limits, through payroll deductions, and your contributions are always 100% vested. Choose pre-tax contributions, after-tax Roth contributions or both.
- Change your contributions anytime through the Vanguard website or by phone.
- 2022 IRS annual limit: $20,500, plus another $6,500 in catch-up contributions if you are age 50 or older; this limit applies to all your contributions combined.
Your contribution level will automatically increase 1% every April, unless you opt out.
What to do
Access your 401(k) Plan account
Visit Vanguard’s website by logging in to the Total Rewards portal with your Grainger username (XAXB123) and computer password. Or call Vanguard at 1-800-523-1188. To register for new account access, use plan number 099028.
Roll over your distribution from a previous employer’s plan
A direct rollover into the 401(k) Plan lets you defer taxes on the distribution and take advantage of Grainger’s investment options. Contact Vanguard for more information.
Take advantage of Vanguard tools and resources
Check out Vanguard’s tips: