How It Works
- As a new hire or during Annual Enrollment, you can choose to enroll in Critical Illness insurance through MetLife, at your own cost.
- If you are newly diagnosed with a covered condition – such as cancer, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, Alzheimer’s disease and many others – MetLife will pay a cash benefit directly to you.
- You have the flexibility to use this money however you wish – for out-of-pocket medical bills, regular household expenses, or new expenses related to your illness.
Critical Illness Insurance Snapshot
Who is eligible?
- Regular full-time team members*
- Regular part-time team members*
- Review the benefits eligibility details
What is it?
- Extra coverage that provides a cash benefit directly to you if you suffer a serious illness (certain qualifications apply).
- Upon enrolling, you select an initial benefit amount of $10,000, $20,000 or $30,000.
- If you or an eligible family member is newly diagnosed with a qualifying condition, this coverage pays you a lump-sum payment of the initial benefit amount.
- You could receive additional benefits if you suffer more than one qualifying condition. The maximum total amount you can receive through your Critical Illness Insurance is three times the initial benefit amount.
- Even with the best medical insurance, a critical illness may leave you with extra out-of-pocket expenses as well as non-medical expenses.
- If you are suddenly unable to work, you could have trouble meeting expenses like rent, mortgage or car insurance.
What to do
* Excludes team members who reside in Guam and those working on a U.S. Base or on an expat assignment. See more for team members outside the continental U.S.