How It Works
- When you enroll in the Silver or Gold medical plan, an HSA is automatically opened in your name at Alight Smart-Choice Accounts, Grainger’s HSA administrator.
- You decide how much money to contribute to your HSA through pre-tax payroll deduction. You can contribute up to the IRS annual limit on contributions from all sources combined.
- If you enroll in the Gold medical plan, Grainger annual contributions (amounts prorated for new hires) are spread equally across pay periods throughout the year and count toward the IRS annual limit.
- You also decide when to use the money in your account – now, next year, even in retirement.
- Your HSA balance is always yours to keep, even if you change medical plans, leave Grainger or retire.
Who is eligible?
- You are eligible for an HSA if you are enrolled in Grainger’s Silver or Gold medical plan. Both are high-deductible plans.
- You are not eligible if you are covered by Medicare or other health insurance that is not a high-deductible plan, whether Grainger’s Platinum Plan or your spouse/partner’s medical plan.
- Review the benefits eligibility details.
What is it?
A tax-smart way to pay for health care expenses, now or in the future.
- Triple tax advantages! Your HSA contributions are tax-free and money comes out tax-free if used for eligible expenses. In addition, any funds in the account that you choose to invest can grow tax-free.
- Plus, you get HSA contributions from Grainger if you are enrolled in the Gold Plan.
You can contribute up to the IRS annual limit on contributions from all sources combined. For 2021, those limits are:
- Team Member only coverage: $3,600
- Family coverage: $7,200
- Catch-up: Add $1,000 if you are age 55 or older by the end of 2021
Grainger’s contributions (Gold Plan participants only)
Grainger’s annual contribution (amounts prorated for new hires):
- Team Member only coverage: $500
- Team Member + Spouse/Domestic Partner coverage: $750
- Team Member + Child(ren) coverage: $750
- Family coverage: $1,000
Grainger contributions are spread equally across pay periods throughout the year and count toward the IRS annual limit.
Common eligible expenses include:
- Most medical care and services
- Health care deductibles and coinsurance
- Dental care (non-cosmetic)
- Vision care
- Prescription drugs
- Over-the-counter medications
- Menstrual care products
- COBRA coverage
- Medicare and retiree health insurance premiums
- Qualified long-term care expenses
Review the full list of qualified health care expenses.
What to do
Access your HSA
If you enroll in the Gold or Silver medical plan, you will receive a Smart-Choice personal debit card to access money in your HSA when paying for expenses at health care providers and pharmacies. You can also pay bills online or request a reimbursement at www.ybr.com/grainger.
Get the app
Download the Smart-Choice Mobile app via the Apple App Store or Google Play.
Manage your contributions
To start, stop or change your contributions anytime:
- Log on to the Total Rewards Portal using your Grainger RACFID and network password (the same information you use to log in to SAP/Kronos for your timecard).
- Go to “Your Health & Wellbeing” and click the “Visit YBR” button on the right side of the page.
- Click “Health and Insurance” in the top navigation of the YBR homepage.
- Expand Health Accounts and Change Your Contribution.
- Changes are effective as of the first day of the following month.
Note: The HSA is not available to team members outside the continental U.S.