How It Works
- All team members and family members can take advantage of beneficiary guidance and support through Prudential.
- Grainger offers comprehensive benefits to family members of team members who pass away while in active service or within one year of becoming disabled.
- Team members who lose a dependent spouse or child may be eligible to receive Life and AD&D insurance benefits if coverage was in place.
- Grainger retirees’ covered spouses may be eligible to remain on health coverage after the retiree passes away.
Survivor Support Snapshot
Who is eligible?
Beneficiary Support: All regular full-time and part-time team members and their covered dependents age 13+ are eligible to use the Prudential Beneficiary Support Center.
Life and AD&D Insurance:
- Regular full-time team members (Basic and Optional Life and AD&D)
- Regular part-time team members who work 30-39 hours per week on average and so are eligible for full-time benefits (Basic and Optional Life and AD&D)
- All team members (Business Travel Accident)
Survivor Benefit: Regular full-time team members with at least two years of service.
What is it?
Coping with the loss of a loved one can be stressful and upsetting. Making funeral arrangements, notifying family and friends, and sorting through paperwork are some tasks that may feel overwhelming to many people. All of this becomes a bit easier with the help of Grainger’s survivor support.
Prudential’s online Beneficiary Support Center offers resources, checklists and interactive tools to help you or your beneficiaries:
- File a claim, including reaching out to Grainger HR Service Center to initiate the claim if needed
- Plan a funeral
- Make a list of key tasks for the days and months after a loved one passes
- Get financial and legal advice
- Find emotional support
You can also find support through the Prudential Beneficiary Advocate. These resources are available at no cost to Grainger team members and their beneficiaries.
What to do
When a team member, covered dependent or retiree passes away, survivors should take the following steps:
- Find and review the decedent’s expressed funeral and burial wishes, if applicable.
- Get at least 12 official copies of the death certificate, enough for legal and financial transactions.
- Notify Grainger by calling the HR Service Center at 1-888-477-3781 – option 9. You will need to provide the date of passing if known and contact information for the family/beneficiaries.
- Notify Alight, our benefits partner, by calling 1-888-477-3781 – option 3, then option 2. Once the beneficiary is confirmed, a Life Benefits Specialist will contact the beneficiary within 2 business days to discuss next steps.
- Watch for a letter from the Grainger HR Service Center listing other vendors you may need to notify depending on the team member’s benefits participation, such as:
- Vanguard for 401(k)/Profit Sharing: 1-800-523-1188.
- Prudential for Life Insurance: 1-800-524-0542. You may contact Prudential in 2-3 weeks after the death certificate is submitted.
- Computershare for the Employee Stock Purchase Plan: 1-800-523-1188.
- Morgan Stanley Smith Barney for stock options: 1-866-885-9571.
- Met Life for Critical Illness, Group Hospital Indemnity or Auto/Home insurance: 1-800-GET MET 8.
- Visit the Prudential Beneficiary Support Center for helpful resources, checklists and tools to help you navigate this difficult time and plan for what’s ahead.
Note: Eligibility requirements must be met in order for benefits to pay out. Benefits may differ for team members outside the continental U.S.